Saturday, April 20, 2013

School Library 2.0

I really liked some of the ideas presented in this article. Specifically I thought the idea of moving library resources into easily accesible spaces was particularly relevant. When I think about what I want to do with my own library, I often take this into consideration. How can I provide the resources students and teachers need outside of school hours? Here are a few ideas I have had: most certainly I would include a link to my catalogue on my website, similarly I would provide various book lists and pathfinders Another way which I can make accessing information outside the library's physical space easier would be to educate the students and teachers at my school about the resources available through the Pioneer Library. It seems to me that although many people know about this resource, they struggle to find ways to use it to their advantage. I would want to provide some sort of staff and student training on the tools available to them. I also really like the idea of moving conversations about books to the web. I know for me as a student I was often hesitant to express my opinions about the things that I read, but when I went to college and was able to post things on discussion boards I was much more willing to participate. There comes a certain freedom with posting things online that reduces the anxiety you feel about voicing your thoughts and opinions. Although I think this is a wonderful tool, it could prove to be problematic, specifically if there is anonymity within the forum you are posting. I really like the idea of the library providing resources for classes outside the core curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment